No. 22, Abimbola Street, Isolo Industrial Estate, Isolo, P.O. Box 1647, Lagos, Nigeria.
Joswe Medicals, Na'ur Jordan.
Dosage Form, Composition & NAFDAC Registration Number (NRN)
Caplet (NRN:04-8909): Each caplet contains 70 mg Alendronic acid (as Alendronate sodium).
Pack size: Blister of 4 tablets.
Alendronate sodium is a bisphosphonate which prevents the loss of bone that occurs in women after they have been through the menopause
and helps to rebuild bone. Also, it makes bone less likely to fracture.
For the treatment of osteoporosis which is a thinning and weakening of the bones.
Hypersensitivity to alendronate & other bisphosphonates; Hypocalceamia; Abnormalities of the esophagus which delay esophageal emptying;
Inability to stand or sit upright for at least 30 minutes; Pregnant women; Nursing women; Children.
Use caution in patients with renal impairment.
Hypocalcemia must be corrected before therapy initiation; ensure adequate Calcium and Vitamin D intake. May cause irritation to upper gastrointestinal mucosa. Esophagitis, esophageal ulcers, esophageal erosions, and esophageal stricture (rare) have been reported; risk increases in patients unable to comply with dosing instructions.
Use with caution in patients with dysphagia, esophageal diseases, gastritis, duodenitis or ulcers (may worsen the underlying condition).
Alendronate Sodium can interact with food, beverages and other medications. Therefore, the patient must wait at least 30 minutes after taking alendronate sodium, before taking any food, beverage and other medications.
Alendronate sodium is generally well tolerated. Side effects include: hypocalcemia & gastrointestinal problems like abdominal pain, acid reflux, dyspepsia, nausea, flatulence, diarrhea, constipation, vomiting, esophageal irritation, rarely ulceration.
Some patients may experience musculoskeletal pain.
Dosage & Administration
Oral, 70 mg once weekly.
- Choose the day of the week that best fits your schedule. Every week, take one Alendomax once weekly 70 mg caplet on your chosen day.
- Do not take Alendomax at bedtimes or before getting up for the day
- Take the caplet with a full glass of plain water only (not less than 200 mL) the first thing in the morning and at least 30 minutes before the first food, beverage, or medication of the day.
- Do not lie down (stay fully upright sitting, standing or walking) for at least 30 minutes following administration and until after eating the first food of the day to facilitate delivery to the stomach and reduce potential for esophageal irritation.
- Do not chew or allow the caplet of Alendomax to dissolve in your mouth. Take supplemental Calcium and Vitamin D if dietary intake is inadequate.
- Consider weight-bearing exercise along with the modification of certain behavioural factors, such as excessive cigarrette smoking or ethanol consumption if these factors exist. Stop taking Alendomax caplets and contact your doctor if you develop difficulty or pain upon swallowing, chest pain, or new or worsening heartburn.
- If you miss a dose, just take one Alendomax once weekly 70 mg caplet on the morning after you remember.
- Do not take two caplets on the same day. Return to taking one caplet once a week, as originally scheduled on your chosen day.
- It is important that you continue taking Alendomax for as long as your doctor prescribed the medicine. Alendomax can treat your osteoporosis only if you continue to take the caplets.
In case of overdosage, milk or antacids should be given to bind Alendronate. Due to the risk of esophageal irritation, vomiting should not be induced and the patient should remain fully upright.
Store below 30oC.
Keep away from the reach of children.